Monday, August 10

Rough Morning to Great Day: How I Feel Better After Waking Up In A Funk

This morning I woke up feeling sick, tired, and really down. I had been having a bad weekend because of my anxiety and I just felt exhausted from the stress. Then I started thinking of things that I did not like about myself and I stopped and wondered, why am I doing this? I need to get out of this funk and boost my self-esteem and my mood. Here are some tips for how I get myself out of a bad morning and into a happy day.

Have a personal mantra.
On days where I feel like it’s going to be a bad day, I try to not fulfill the self-fulfilling prophecy of a bad day and repeat to myself “I’m going to have a good day.” Lots of people think that I am joking when I do this, but it really gets me through days that are stressful. Saying that to myself helps me to not make a big deal about little things that go wrong and look at the big picture. This is a good day because I’m still alive, I’m still healthy, and I have people who love me.

List two physical traits you love about yourself and three mental/emotional traits you love about yourself.
I love my eyes. I love my weird chicken pox scar on my cheek. I love that I am creative. I love that I am passionate about my relationships with my loved ones. I love that I am a survivor.
Reminding yourself about the things you love about yourself can really help you to not focus on the negative and see how great of a person you are.

Do a project that makes you happy.
For me, cleaning out and organizing my closet is a Zen experience. I work in retail as a merchandiser, so I love to organize clothes and make presentations out of clothing. Some days, tackling my wardrobe and makeup collections really help me to stay calm and collected when I feel like the world is crashing in. Then I can take the items that I know I am never going to wear and donate them to someone who could use them. It’s a good way to give back while also helping you to calm down.

Talk to someone who makes you smile.
I have wonderful people in my life that can lift me up whenever I am feeling down. Knowing who to talk to that will help get you through a rough day can help you feel like everything is going to be okay. Realizing that they love you and do not see you as a burden may be hard, but obviously if they are here and are helping you then they care and want to see you feel better.

Splurge on something.
I say splurge in a loose sense. I do not mean spend a ton of money on something, but if you want to spend the day playing the Sims or watching Netflix, splurge on that. If you want to eat your favorite meal that you know isn’t the healthiest but it makes you happy, splurge on that. If you want to buy yourself a present that is a little pricey, but you can afford it and it will not cause you to be broke or prevent you from attending to responsibilities, splurge on that. You deserve something nice every once in a while and you deserve to be happy.


Today is going to be a day of projects and splurging and I am already feeling better thinking about it. I hope everyone is having a lovely day and I will be back on Wednesday with a new post for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment