Wednesday, August 12

Matte Lip Madness: ColourPop Ultra Matte Lipsticks

Mars, Tulle, Creeper, Limbo, Zipper, LAX (left to right)

Good Afternoon!

I had been looking for a new brand of affordable lipsticks to try out because, as much as I love my high end makeup, I cannot always afford to shell out the money for those products. I decided to get my hands on the Colourpop Ultra Matte Lipsticks as soon as they came in stock. I tried to grab colors that I knew I would wear and would work on my darker skin tone. I know what colors will work for my complexion and try to avoid bright or lighter colors that will make me look washed out. I picked six colors, valued at six dollars apiece, which brought my total to $36. That was not a bad price for lipsticks in my opinion, seeing as though I shelled out a nice chunk of change for the Esteé Lauder lipstick. I chose mostly colors that I would wear in fall since the seasons will soon be changing and I tend to wear more lipsticks in the fall and winter than summer. Each color was unique, which I loved and I cannot wait to play around with them.

Zipper, Mars, Creeper, Tulle, Limbo, LAX (left to right) 

IN DEPTH OF THE SIX SHADES

Tulle was my second favorite of the lip colors that I tried. I loved this shade as soon as I saw it on the website. When I saw it swatched, I immediately thought that it would make a lovely peachy nude color that wasn’t too brown. The pink undertones make it look so feminine and perfect for a simple, girly, natural makeup look for an everyday face. The lipstick applied very smooth, the smoothest of the six and was the least patchy. Since it was so similar to my natural lip color, I was not able to really tell if you could see my natural lip color underneath.

Limbo was my absolute favorite of the lip colors that I purchased. In the tube, it looks like a light brown, but it applied to a deep, chocolate brown as soon as it hits the lips. I was initially shocked when it came out of the tube so dark and I thought I had grabbed the wrong lipstick, but it was really that dark and I was so enamored by the color. It applied with no patches and left an even distribution of product across the lips. One coat worked fine for me to get that intense, dark, matte brown color.

Mars was my least favorite of the six, simply because bright pink is already out of my comfort zone. It applied patchy it took multiple coats for me to get a visible color in the center of my lip. I felt like it kept wiping away every time my bottom lip touched my top lip.

Creeper was a shade that I felt you will need a liner for because, like Mars, it took multiple coats to get a visible color in the center of the lip.

Zipper was the shade that I had the highest hopes for because it reminded me of Heroine by MAC. This was my second least favorite of the six because the color payoff was not as high as I anticipated. It applied really patchy and took a lot of coats for it to look purple. I showed a picture to my friend and she said she liked it because it gave a fuschia ombré effect to the lip, which is nice, but I was really looking forward to the bright purple lip.

Last, but not least, LAX was the shade that I got the most compliments on. I kept it on for a few hours to see how it lasted and it lasted a very long time. No wear, unless I went to drink something and my lips got wet, but even then it wasn’t too bad of wear. LAX was buildable and bold, which I like in a lipstick and it did not leave my lips feeling too dry. I really liked this color a lot and felt it would look amazing in the fall.

Overall, I liked the lipsticks because I feel like when paired with a good liner, they will do wonders. I would recommend them to anyone under that condition only. The staying power for these lipstick was insane. Once they dried, they were completely matte and were not going anywhere. There was no clinging to dry patches, which I find happens with a lot of matte shades. They were pigmented, if you built them up to be and lasted for awhile. Getting them off was a struggle though, so I recommend that if you are to wear one of these shades, you should be positive that it is the one you want to wear all day and are willing to take the time to remove at night.

 I can’t wait to see what makeup looks I can create around these colors. Thanks for reading and I will see you next week with a new post!

No comments:

Post a Comment